Duck Tape Cross Curtain Tutorial

Duck Tape Cross Curtains 1Happy 2015 y’all!  I am really excited about this project!  I have been looking for something to do with Duck Tape and I have a new obsession with crosses lately.  I can never commit to patterns for long term, so using my curtains as a canvas for this project worked perfectly. So here is my little tutorials on Duck Tape Cross Curtains – enjoy!

A little back story:  I won a rad gift basket full of Duck Tape from Haven.  I knew there was a Duck Tape-DIY project in me waiting to burst, and this is it!

In all of my rooms, I have white curtains (usually that I’ve made myself).  To know me is to know my favorite color is white.  Well, lately I’ve been feeling the need to jazz them up!

SUPPLIES:  white curtains, black Duck Tape (one 20 yard roll), ruler, and SHARP scissors.

NUMBERS:  2 curtain panels, eight rows of 4 crosses on each panel.  The width of the tape is 1.88 inches.  So each strip of tape is 3 times that so you get a perfectly balanced cross.

TIP:  The trick to cutting the tape (without making yourself crazy) is to pull off about 8-10 inches and hold the end of the tape with the roll dangling downward.  The weight of the roll will help keep the tape taught so when you cut it horizontally, you’re more likely to get a cleaner cut.  I would hold the ruler with my thumb and index finger IN FRONT of the dangling duck tape so I would know where to cut.  You will have to wipe sticky residual adhesive off your scissors after every couple cuts.

TIP #2:  It will save you time if you cut a row’s worth of strips (8 per curtain panel in my case), and then put the tape on.

TIP #3:  Once you get the placement of the first row, it’s easier and faster to get the next rows done.  You can pull the tape up even after you’ve put it down and it won’t ruin the fabric.  To get the rows even, I would line up the top edge of the crosses.  I realized it’s easier to do this when you put the VERTICAL PIECE FIRST, and the HORIZONTAL PIECE SECOND.

Duck Tape Cross Curtain 2
Duck Tape Cross Curtains 3 Duck Tape Cross Curtains 4 Duck Tape Cross Curtains 5 Duck Tape Cross Curtains 6

I hope you enjoyed my little Duck Tape Cross Curtain tutorial!  I feel like crosses are the next chevron pattern craze.  Where are you incorporating them in your home?

Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Bloglovin  |  Google +

Featured at:  The Creative Exchange Link Party

Think & Make Thursday

Linking up to:  House of Hipsters, Thifty Decor Chick, Sugarbee Crafts, Home Stories A to Z, Carissa Miss, Just a Girl and Her Blog, The NY Melrose Family, The Newlywed Pilgrimage, Petite Modern Life, My Fabuless Life, Nalle’s House, The Happy Scraps, Too Much Time on My Hands, Life on Virginia Street, Craft Dictator, Chic on a Shoestring Budget, The DIY Mommy, DIY Showoff, Finding Silver Pennies, The Winthrop Chronicles, The Girl Creative, Craftberry Bush, BlueiStyle, Meegan Makes, Whipperberry, Reasons to Skip the HouseworkThe 36th AvenuePink WhenMaking it in the MountainsHome Stories A to ZLive Randomly SimpleWinthrop ChroniclesA Stroll Thru Life, Knick of Time, The DIY DreamerSimply DesigningLive.Laugh.Rowe.The Heathered NestFrench Country CottageThe Crafted SparrowThe Girl CreativeTatertots & JelloThe SITS Girls, One More Time Events, Life on Virginia StreetCraftberry BushDwell BeautifulChic on a Shoestring BudgetToo Much Time on Her HandsLife on Lakeshore DriveFinding Silver PenniesA Designer at HomeRefresh RestyleThe Happy Housie

20 Comments on Duck Tape Cross Curtain Tutorial

1. Kristy
    January 9, 2015 at 8:38 pm (1 year ago)

love this idea! Great for dorms or rented spaces too!

2. Leigh Anne
    January 20, 2015 at 9:35 am (1 year ago)

I love these curtains! Thanks for sharing at Think & Make Thursday! You will be one of my Bright Idea features this week!

• Tyler @ The Striped House
      January 28, 2015 at 11:07 pm (1 year ago)

Aww, thanks for making my duck tape curtains one of your Bright Ideas! I love it 🙂 Thanks for hosting us each week!

3. Kristina @ My Own Home Blog
    January 20, 2015 at 6:26 pm (1 year ago)

These look so great! I’ve seen similar duct tape curtains around, but I’m so afraid that I won’t be able to pull it off! Maybe I just need to dive in and give it a shot.
    I’d love for you to stop by and link up with me at Talented Tuesday, 1 party 5 blogs, every Tuesday at 9am central!

• Tyler @ The Striped House
      January 28, 2015 at 11:00 pm (1 year ago)

Have no fear! You can pull it off so easily. Honestly, I don’t even think it will leave adhesive residue. You should totally do it! I’ll cheer you on 🙂

4. Christy @ 11 Magnolia Lane
    January 21, 2015 at 1:28 pm (1 year ago)

How creative! And I love that big brass lamp, too. Pinned to the Pretty Preppy Party board (and thanks for linking up)!

• Tyler @ The Striped House
      January 28, 2015 at 10:58 pm (1 year ago)

Woo hoo! Thanks for the pin and for the comment love 🙂 Love partying with you gals!

5. Brett
    January 21, 2015 at 1:41 pm (1 year ago)

No way that is tape! These are fab! Well done and thanks for linking up to the Pretty Preppy Party! xx, b

6. Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
    January 24, 2015 at 1:26 pm (1 year ago)

I really love cross patterns and b/w decor… I would never have guessed this was duct tape. You did an awesome job!

• Tyler @ The Striped House
      January 28, 2015 at 10:56 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks! That’s the best compliment if you can’t tell right away that they are duck tape 🙂

7. Rena @ Lemon Peel
    February 12, 2015 at 8:58 am (1 year ago)

I am in love with the Swiss Cross pattern. It’s everywhere right now. I would have never thought of doing this, though. Such a smart idea!

• Tyler @ The Striped House
      February 12, 2015 at 8:16 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Rena! I know, the more I see the pattern, the more I’m crushing on it!

8. Kathy
    February 12, 2015 at 5:01 pm (1 year ago)

Crosses can totally replace chevrons. I would be very okay with that! Really cute project. I’ve been dying to do stuff with washi tape in our new rental. I keep thinking of crosses…. Thanks for linking up at The Creative Circle! Hope to see you next week. 🙂

• Tyler @ The Striped House
      February 12, 2015 at 8:17 pm (1 year ago)

Hi Kathy! Ooooh – yes, you should totally try something with washi tape and post it 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

9. Angela, blue i style
    February 19, 2015 at 3:17 am (1 year ago)

What a fabulous budget decorating idea! Very high on style! Thanks for linking up at The Creative Circle! I hope you’ll join us again this week!!

• Tyler @ The Striped House
      March 29, 2015 at 10:38 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Angela! Wow, those are great compliments 🙂 Who’d have thought two rolls of Duck Tape would make such awesome things!