“I’m on my way over!”
You hang up the phone, and suddenly panic creeps in. Your friend is on her way over to your house to celebrate her job promotion. RIGHT NOW. Three things come to mind: First, you’re gonna miss tonight’s episode of The Voice (darn). Second, you have no celebratory snacks, not even a cheese stick. Third, the only bottle in your bar is a flavor of UV that goes with nothing.
Lucky for you, this girl loves a good happy hour.
Here’s a few things I’ve learned over the years that will keep you ready for company with only 10 minutes notice. After all, the cuter your home is, the more likely your friends will want to come over 😉 This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Mini bottles are a life saver:
- Wine: 4-packs of wine at the grocery store (so you don’t have wine going bad).
- Little bottles of booze at the gas station. Don’t go judging… You can style them in a beautiful clear vase, or silver bowl to display them and keep you from looking like you robbed the beverage cart on your last vacation flight home.
- Single serving bottles of juice (tomato, OJ and pineapple are my favorites)
- Mini cans of Coke. These are a must. When you can find them, buy them. They look cute as hell on a bar.
- Buy a six-pack of craft beer and put in back of your fridge, so you’re not tempted to drink it!
- Please, please, please learn how to use a variety of bottle openers, and I don’t mean the battery operated kind. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen a woman struggle to figure out how to open a bottle of wine at a party, and I’ll walk over and offer my help. YouTube it.
- If you’re like me, you’ll probably eat them if you see them. So hide them in your bar. Dried fruit, nuts, crackers are always solid choices.
- For those of you that have more self control, find the closest Trader Joe’s and pick up some of these:
- I’m not one to fuss over napkins, but these are cute enough to bust out for special moments!
- And of course you have a happy hour playlist on your iTunes, right? Right?
So now you know everything I’ve learned having my friends over for cocktails. What’s neat is that you can make it as casual (cold beer and pretzels) or fancy (martini & french cheeses) as you like. Don’t feel like you need to spend a lot of money on the items I listed above. Even if you got them out of the dollar aisle at Target, your friends won’t notice. They’ll be too busy telling you about their new job 😉