Sorry for being away all of last week. It was one of those weeks that demanded all of my time doing something else. Right before last week, I started on the process of making over my guest bedroom closet. This closet has been used as a catch-all for all sorts junk – old photo albums, year books, blankets, towels, pillows, etc. My goal was to make it into a glorified linen and cleaning closet. My hall closet is pretty tiny, so I didn’t have room for vacuums and brooms. My intended linen closet is even smaller, and isn’t big enough to hold much more than toiletries, medications, kleenex and toilet paper! Speaking of which, you can see my coat closet makeover and linen closet makeovers in previous posts. I think its fun to try out of the box things in closets. Did you see what I did to my master bedroom closet doors? 😉
This is what I started with. Uffda.
First things first, we cleaned it out. Many thanks to Mom for helping me with this process. We bagged and labeled everything. And she filled her SUV full of donations to distribute around town. It took us a full afternoon if that gives you a mental picture of what we accomplished. She’s the best 🙂
I looked at possibly wallpapering the closet. But that got pretty pricey fast. I thought about stenciling it, but I wasn’t finding anything that sang to me. I’m not sure what made me think of using fabric, but the next thing I knew, I was at the fabric store until they closed it down on a Saturday night! I bought three different types of fabric. One for the top half, a second for the shelf, and a third for the bottom half.
Next stop was to buy a bunch of yard sticks. Note: If you need yard sticks, they are under $1 at hardware stores. They were $7 at the craft store!!!
HOW I USED THE FABRIC
I started with the shelf. I picked out a taupe colored vinyl that looked like leather. I laid it out, face down, on my dining room table, and put the shelf on top. I lined the top of the side edge of the shelf with the edge of the vinyl, but left a few inches on the long side. I wrapped those couple inches around the edge and stapled them down. This edge is the bottom of the back of the shelf.
Then I wrapped the bulk of the material around both side, pulling it tight and over the thin section already stapled down. In the picture below, this is the same side of the shelf as the photo above – you just can’t see where the vinyl overlaps itself. I carefully cut off the fabric as straight as I could. Voila! The shelf is done.
The next part took a little more time. I did the top half of the closet next. I bought a print patterned fabric, which was a total pain to line up since I needed two panel so go side by side to cover the entire section of wall. Once I had the two sections sewn together, I used fabric glue to glue the yard sticks to the top and bottom edges of the fabric. I should mention that my closet is just a little more wide than two yardsticks side by side. It wouldn’t take much to cut them shorter if needed.
Then flipped the sides over and glued them to the yard sticks.
Here’s the part where it’s a little hard to explain… My closet is divided into top and bottom halves by a 4 x 1 piece of moulding that holds the shelf up. I’m using that moulding as the bottom of the TOP half and the top of the BOTTOM half. Still with me?
Okay. The purpose of the yard sticks was to create clean edges where the fabric, AND to fasten the fabric to the closet walls. So in the picture below, this shows the BOTTOM edge of the top panel butted up against the TOP of the moulding. I used some leftover nails to secure the yard sticks in place. Can you see how side of the yardstick that is glued to the fabric is facing the wall? That was intentional so when I pull the fabric up, there will be a nice clean edge. The side of the fabric you see right now is the back side. The panel of fabric is hanging down in this picture.
I pulled the part of the fabric panel that was hanging down and pulled it straight up. I flipped the ruller over a half turn so the side with fabric glued to it was against the wall. I used more nails to nail through the front of the fabric and yard stick to secure it to the wall. You can’t even see the nails at the top. The bottom edge’s nails are hidden because I didn’t go through the top layer of fabric.
Here’s what it looks like once the top is nailed into place. Love those clean lines at the top of the shelf brace! And yes, I cheated and only painted the moulding white!
Here’s the view of the very top. It doesn’t go all the way to the ceiling. I was literally a couple inches too short to make it to the top. But you can only tell if you are standing at a certain angle.
Then I repeated the process again, but in reverse for the bottom half of the closet. I nailed the top half of the panel in first, flipping the yardstick over a half turn. Then did the same for the bottom.
So there it is! I forgot to mention that I got all of the fabric on sale. Big time sales! I know once I fill it up with stuff again, it won’t look this pretty, so I’m showing it to you without all of my stuff. Even though we got rid of a ton, I still managed to hold on to a million throw pillows!!! 🙂