Hello friends!

I am so excited about today.  The lovely and talented Ursula of Home Made by Carmona has invited twenty four other bloggers to join her and share our gardens, backyards and patios.  If you’re like me and you live in a four seasons part of the country, you know how nice it is to have a bonus living space during warmer temps.  Not to mention it makes your view from inside your home that much prettier 😉

Welcome to my backyard tree deck

garden party tree deck patio tour The Striped House

My “tree deck” is a funny thing.  It’s literally inside the the branches of tree.  I didn’t even plant the tree.  It was a weed that I kept pulling out until one time it grew back so fast that it started to resemble a small tree.  Huh.  So I gave it a little while to see what it would do.  And I kid you not, a couple years later, I have a full size tree that grew around my deck.  My deck is elevated, so the branches start at about the floor of my deck.  It’s pretty cool.  I have to cut back the branches a lot, but that’s okay.  It’s worth it.  It gives me a ton of privacy and shade, which helps keep my kitchen cool when it’s 100 degrees outside (which is almost every day in the summer here).

There is a source list at the bottom in case you’re wondering where I found items 😉

Patio Tour My Backyard Tree Deck The Striped House

hanging topiaries over deck summer The Striped House

This is my view from my kitchen:

kitchen view of summer deck

plant gold pot summer deck The Striped House

backyard deck bench seating pillows The Striped House

backyard deck plant rug seating The Striped House

backyard patio tour trees eclectic summer The Striped House

Garden Party Tours - Rectangle Promo copy

Wanna see the best part of my tree deck?

At night, this place is like a firefly…

lights over deck night backyard The Striped House

night cafe lights over backyard The Striped House

About the lights:

Years ago I bought some basic cafe lights that had the standard dark green cord.  I bought three packs, so 30 bulbs total.  Here’s how I painted silver:

• I took out all of the light bulbs.
  • Then I I tore up small pieces of paper towel and stuffed the sockets so I didn’t spray the inside.
  • I hung the lights on another tree in my yard that was far from the house, my deck, or anything else I didn’t want getting caught in the line fire from spray paint.
  • I took a can a metallic silver paint I found in my paint stash, and got to spraying.

TIP:  Don’t do it when it’s summer and 100 degrees out and so humid that it won’t dry.  I did this, and ended up having to move them into my laundry room to dry completely.  Rookie mistake.

You’re going to laugh when I tell you how I hung them.  They are attached to my gutter with extra large black binder clips.  I can hear my family shaking their head as they read this.  Hey, it works and I didn’t put any holes in anything.  Bonus:  it’s super easy to take down and put up each year.

This post contains affiliates links.  To see my full disclosure policy, please click here.

source list:

Garden Party Tour - Creative Outdoor Solutions

I hope you all enjoyed my backyard tree deck.  Be sure to check out these other amazing gardens, backyards and patios!  These ladies have such beautiful homes.  You can click on any of the images below to see their home.

xo Jen signature

Amazon footer

21 Comments on PATIO TOUR: BACKYARD TREE DECK

1. Shonee
    July 18, 2016 at 8:47 am (7 months ago)

Jen I love your outdoor space. It feels so cozy and inviting! That bench looks like it can accolade a large group and the lights are the icing on the cake. Love it all!

2. kristy
    July 18, 2016 at 9:07 am (7 months ago)

Looks so cozy and inviting – I love it! And, I love how you hung the boxwood balls from the tree!

3. Melissa @ Polished Habitat
    July 18, 2016 at 10:57 am (7 months ago)

What luck that the tree decided it was going to grow right there for you. It makes the deck so cozy! Love that you spray painted the the lights too

4. Ursula @ Home Made by Carmona
    July 18, 2016 at 9:03 pm (7 months ago)

Oh man, I LOVE all the little touches that bring this space together! The boxwood balls, the lights, the pillows… everything! *swoon*
    Thanks for sharing your space!

5. Stephanie @ Casa Watkins Living
    July 18, 2016 at 9:35 pm (7 months ago)

Jen this is soooo cute. I love the hanging boxwood spheres! Just so pretty and yes, the lights are the best part!!!

6. Kathy
    July 19, 2016 at 4:48 am (7 months ago)

It’s so cute Jen! What a perfect, shady spot to relax in. Love the colors and hanging spheres!

7. Linda
    July 19, 2016 at 9:29 pm (7 months ago)

Love your patio,,,,,could have a glass of wine, cup of coffee or take a nap. Looks so peaceful. Really like the plants!

8. Megan
    July 21, 2016 at 8:22 am (7 months ago)

Hello! I’m a new reader and just adore this space. The lights, the seating, colors, and all the details really make it special.

9. Chelsea
    July 21, 2016 at 4:10 pm (7 months ago)

OH wow! I just love this space! The deck is lovely on its own but you have it decorated beautifully! What a great place to relax and enjoy!

10. heather
    July 21, 2016 at 7:56 pm (7 months ago)

Oh my gosh, I bet it’s so gorgeous out there at night!! Hope you’re enjoying your fantastic space!! Happy summer 🙂

11. JenWoodhouse.com
    July 22, 2016 at 10:02 am (7 months ago)

So cute! You’re right – those lights are a total game-changer! xo

12. Ashley
    July 22, 2016 at 9:23 pm (7 months ago)

What a beautiful space! I adore everything on your tree deck!! <3

13. Iris Nacole
    July 23, 2016 at 7:16 pm (7 months ago)

There is nothing better than a natural canopy! What a gorgeous space!

14. Anima
    July 25, 2016 at 1:55 pm (7 months ago)

You have an elegant deck Jen, a cozy and warm place for lots of laughter and conversations – especially I would love to relax there after sunset 🙂

15. Chris - Celebrations At Home
    July 25, 2016 at 4:03 pm (7 months ago)

Love the tree deck! What a great naturally shaded space; and you get to hang things from it you lucky girl!

16. Corey
    July 27, 2016 at 1:23 pm (7 months ago)

Wow Jen! I love this space. What a cool place to hangout especially at night (those lights!) Just beautiful. So much fun doing this hop with you!!!

17. Tara @ Lehman Lane
    February 24, 2017 at 8:15 am (4 days ago)

Jen, I love your outdoor space especially the lights in your tree 🙂

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on PATIO TOUR: BACKYARD TREE DECK

1. […] This project was more about making what I already had look better.  I had the furniture, the green boxwood topiaries, the cafe lights, the white metal basket weave pattern table, and many of the accessories.  So I re-stained, re-painted and cleaned it all.  Turned out pretty good, eh?  Click through to see what it looks like at night! […]