After fighting with curtains for years, I customized an IKEA SKOGKLOVER roller blind and created a cornice box over my kitchen patio slide door.
buy now If you’ve been following me since the spring, you know I updated my kitchen. I completely overhauled it 10 years ago. I attempted and failed at painting my new chairs. I’ll be showing how I refinished my table real soon.
Hello friends, I’m finally showing you all how I made my roller blinds over my kitchen patio doors. When I was doing my kitchen refresh, I knew I needed to ditch the curtains. The cats were playing in them, and they were a total pain to deal with when you wanted to go outside. So my goal was to have something that didn’t come down low enough for the cats, and that went up high enough that could walk through. I knew roller blinds were the way to go. But all roller blinds are really ugly, right?
Did I mention I have a soffit that starts right above the casing around the patio door? So whatever I do, cannot be more than a couple inches in height – more or less the height of the actual casing itself. Uffda.
I was gung ho on making it look professional and not like some DIY project gone wrong. So I began thinking of a cornice box, made of the same casing as what is already around the door. And it would hide the blind and hardware when it was all rolled up.
During my window treatment research, I found IKEA’s SKOGSKLOVER roller blinds. These can be mounted to the ceiling!
I ordered the blinds, Dad and I installed them to the underside of the soffit, built a cornice box around them, I caulked and painted and voila! It actually looked exactly how I hoped it would!
Here is what you would see if you looked up as you were walking under the box. We did add another piece of trim to the very bottom that extended it another 1/4″ down to ensure all of the blind hardware was covered.
After cruising Pinterest, I found this IKEA hack for these blinds and knew I had to try it.
I literally couldn’t decide on a fabric and ended up buying a black linen and took it to a tailor to have panels cut and hemmed to the exact measurements, but she totally screwed it up and made the sides uneven. I didn’t realize it until I painted the stripes on them and was installing them. Dangit, I should have done it myself. Side note: they wouldn’t have worked with the painted stripes anyway because the paint made the fabric to stiff and thick to roll up around the dowels at the top.
So I took off the old fabric, and started again. This time I cut and hemmed up the panels. And now I can roll them up all the way into the cornice box!
I used a lot of binder clips and stick pins to keep fabric in place while I was adjusting it to get the sides straight. I also used the binder clips to hold the fabric pressed to the glue while it was drying.
Confession – I totally have the blind backwards in these photos! I realized it when I started peeling off the old glue (that’s the dark fuzzy stuff on the blind near the roller. It’s left over from when I peeled the old black fabric off. While I was peeling off the residual glue, that’s when I realized I was putting the new fabric on the wrong side. Lordy.
Tips for my IKEA SKOGSKLOVER Roller Blind Hack
- pick a thin, non-stretchy fabric
- only fold over the fabric once on the side hems, otherwise you risk the fabric bulking up too much in the blind.
- I used spray fabric adhesive to keep the fabric on the blind, in addition to the fabric glue along the trim. I was worried you would be able to see the liquid glue through the fabric.
- Spend extra time making sure all of the sides are straight.
- Don’t make the pocket for the rod too big. I did and I actually think I’m going to re-do it and add a small pull ring at the bottom as soon as I find some faux leather strips.
- Leave enough space between them so they have room to independently work.
- Where the fabric overlaps with original section of blind at the top, I didn’t hem the sides. Instead I wrapped the fabric around the edge and glued it to avoid the blind being visible from a side angle.
I intentionally left enough room around each panel so the black of my doors would show through. I wanted it look like two individual panels versus a bedroom sheet from my ceiling, haha!
If I missed out on any details, or if you have questions, please leave them in the comments below 🙂