{Reverse} Herringbone Painting Tutorial

I wanted something bright and cheerful for my office at work.  Admittedly I was in a funk at the time and I knew painting would help get me out of it.
I looked at this Pinterest picture a lot and re-read the directions the author posted (over and over) before deciding to paint it the opposite way the author suggests.  I let the white canvas serve as the white space in the painting, therefore leaving some areas of the canvas blank.
Shopping List:
  • I bought the least expensive canvas at Hobby Lobby – love those 40% off coupons.
  • I have quite a few acrylic paints, but ended up buying some in certain colors to avoid having to mix large amounts for a specific color.  For crafting purposes, I always use cheap acrylics.  When I painted in college, I used expensive acrylics.  But for now, stick with the $2 bottles.
  • I also bought a role of 1/2 inch blue painters tape.
  • I used cheap brushes and a styrofoam plate with the 3 dividers in it to pour my paint onto.  The styrofoam plate is one of my favorite tips I learned in my college painting classes.
When I started laying out the blue paint, I tried to be really exact about where the lines intersected.  I painted a big chevron stripe painting a few years ago and the trick to getting it right was to measure out your angles.  With this painting, I ended up eye balling it.  To the random person who comes into my office, they won’t see the couple places where it’s a half inch off.  But for the most part it’s pretty close to exact.
After I painted over the tape, peeled off the tape carefully.  There are few places where the paint snuck under the tape, but I like how the lines aren’t perfect.  I love walking into my office and seeing the bright colors!

11 Comments on {Reverse} Herringbone Painting Tutorial

1. mommyzoid.com
    September 8, 2014 at 2:56 am (2 years ago)

This is incredible!! I love the colours you used for this piece. Cant wait to try this technique!<br /><br />-Stephanie

• stripes
      October 17, 2014 at 12:05 am (2 years ago)

It was a really fun project, especially when I pulled the tape off at the end! Good luck 🙂

2. Karen @ a house full of sunshine
    September 21, 2014 at 11:12 am (2 years ago)

Oh my goodness, that looks AMAZING!! So funny, I&#39;m halfway through the exact same project right now – my jaw just hit the floor when I saw yours!! I too pinned that artwork and I too decided to do a reverse version. My colours are different and my herringbone pattern faces the other way, but otherwise, identical!! I thought I was being so original too!! Darn it! LOL. Seriously, you did an

• stripes
      October 17, 2014 at 12:06 am (2 years ago)

Hi Karen, that’s so funny that you did it reverse too! Great minds think alike 🙂 Please send me a pic of yours – I’d love to see it!

3. Angela
    October 24, 2014 at 7:28 am (2 years ago)

This is so cute! Stop by tonight to see it featured at Handmade in the Heartland!

• Tyler
      November 6, 2014 at 10:11 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Angela, wow – thank you so much for featuring my painting! That’s so exciting 🙂 Thanks for hosting us all every week. See you at the next party!

4. LZ Cathcart
    November 7, 2014 at 8:05 pm (2 years ago)

Absolutely LOVE it! The color palette is just so pretty I would love to create a bathroom or redo my closet in these colors 🙂

5. Kelly
    November 13, 2014 at 12:42 am (2 years ago)

I love this finished product! Pinning this one to try soon! Like you, I have resorted to using mostly craft acrylics in my artwork nowadays–and I find that it works and wears very well. I have paintings done in primarily craft acrylic that are now about 10 years old and still look as bright as ever!

• Tyler
      November 19, 2014 at 9:23 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Kelly, Yep – acrylics are my go to paint always. I don’t have the patience for other paints! Plus they’re cheap and so darned much fun to play with:) My painting is by a window and still looks great. Happy painting!

6. Coco
    December 3, 2014 at 1:45 am (1 year ago)

So cute! I love it!! Also, wanted to let you know I have a link party on Wednesday, hope to see you there! Can’t wait to party with you at https://homeschoolapalooza.wordpress.com 🙂

7. Kyla @HouseofHipsters
    December 3, 2014 at 2:31 pm (1 year ago)

Great tutorial! I love how it turned out! Pinned! Thanks so much for sharing them at Found & Foraged! Hope to see you again this week…oh, but before I forget. Party will start on Friday (this week only) at 8PM CT…InLinkz is doing some server maintenance right when our party is normally scheduled. Blerg! Anyhoo, hope to see you at http://houseofhipsters.com/