HOLIDAYS

FOOLPROOF, CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT WREATH TUTORIAL

A full-proof tutorial on how to DIY a Christmas ornament wreath, and what super inexpensive tool I use to create it and keep it in place.

I bet you’ve seen at least a hundred photos of Christmas ornament wreathes on Pinterest?  Am I right?  Welp, I’ve discovered a secret tool that is so dang cheap that you’ll think I’ve lost my mind a little when you read it!  I’ve done some other fun Christmas DIYs.  My Fa La La garland is one of my favorites.  If you want to see my home all decked out for Christmas, you can see it here and here.

Christmas Ornament Wreath Tutorial

I hopped on the Christmas Ornament Wreath train years ago when they became really popular, thank you Pinterest.  I tried a handful of different methods (the wire hanger, the pool noodle, etc), and none of them worked.  Then I had an epiphany…

HOW DO I KEEP MY ORNAMENT WREATH TOGETHER?

My secret weapon to making an ornament wreath is good old fashioned hair pins.  I got a big container of them from Sally Beauty for a few dollars.  Note – I used regular hair pins, not bobby pins.  See source list at bottom of post to get links to everything I used 🙂

I apologize for the terrible photo quality, I took them on my iPhone4 years ago before I knew how to properly save and resize them.

This was the first one I tried.  And it sticks!
I pulled it out and put on an ornament.

And then some more…  Tip: Create it when the wreath is vertical, not flat on a table.  I hung the foam wreath on a sturdy wreath door hanger from the back of my office chair.  I sat on the floor when I made it.

Let gravity work in your favor.  Start at the bottom and work your way up the sides.

I found that it works much better with ornaments of all different sizes.  The really small ones work well to help fill in the holes where you could see the wreath and the pins underneath.

To avoid from putting ornaments on the back side of the wreath, I put in the longer hair pins and left them sticking out so they served as a wall to keep the ornaments pushed forward.

The wreath is pretty heavy when it’s done.  Make sure you have a sturdy wreath hanger.  I recommend storing it upright on the back of another door where it will be safe in the off season.

This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.  You can read my full disclosure policy here.

CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT WREATH SOURCE LIST:

Christmas Ornament Wreath Tutorial

Hope you all enjoyed my little Christmas Ornament Wreath tutorial, and that this method works for you.  If you make a wreath, I would love to see it!  Email me a photo and I’d love to share it.
Merry Christmas!
xo Jen signature

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

15 Comment

1. Reply
    Christie
    December 11, 2014 at 7:05 am

Beautiful wreath, and I love the idea of using hair pins to make it! Awesome!

1. Reply
      Tyler
      December 11, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Hi Christie, thanks for the kind words 🙂 Happy Holidays!

2. Reply
    Julie Fiato
    December 11, 2014 at 9:50 am

WOW! So beautiful. Your wreath will be featured this Sunday @ Inspiration Monday Party! Thanks for linking up!

1. Reply
      Tyler
      December 11, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Hi Julie, wow – that’s such great news! Thank you so much. You just made my day 🙂 Thanks for hosting us every week!

3. Reply
    Joanne
    December 14, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I love your ornament wreath. Thanks for the tutorial. I think I’ll make one for next year, buying the ornaments on sale. I popped on over from Redhead Can Decorate.

1. Reply
      Tyler
      December 15, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Hi Joanne, that’s a great idea to buy the ornaments on sale now. Buy a few extras, I usually break one every time I move it! Good luck, I hope it turns out great 🙂

1. Reply
        Joan
        December 18, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Walmart has lots of non-breakable ornaments in various sizes which are also fairly cheap.

4. Reply
    crysal
    December 14, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Such a classy wreath! Love this. I’d love it if you shared this on the Crafty Saturday showcase at http://www.bowdabrablog.com
    ~Crystal

1. Reply
      Tyler
      December 15, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hey Crystal! Thanks for the kind words. I’d love to stop on by your party. Thanks for the invite!

5. Reply
    Tania
    January 7, 2017 at 1:09 pm

Oh my gosh,your wreath is awesome. I am so inspired to make one myself. did you use a Styrofoam form??

6. Reply
    Winter Wreath Ideas
    November 3, 2017 at 11:02 pm

[…] Ornament Wreath (Tutorial) […]

7. Reply
    Marsha Neal-Williams
    November 16, 2017 at 3:13 am

Beautiful wreath creation. Did you do anything else to secure the pins besides pushing them in the foam wreath base?

8. Reply
    Shani
    December 5, 2017 at 8:23 pm

This is gorgeous. What color balls are these? The links to amazon aren’t showing these colors.

9. […] View the tutorial on ‘The Striped House’ […]

10. […] Jen over at The Striped House uses hairpins (not bobby pins) to attach the ornaments to the wreath. Brilliant! (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); […]