Hello friends, it’s that time of the year again where 200+ design and DIY bloggers race to makeover a room, top to bottom, in six weeks. I’ve participated in the One Room Challenge twice before. My first time, I made over my master bedroom. This spring, I made over my guest bedroom. And this time, we’re going extreme opposite end of the spectrum. My garage. Yep. You read that right. Sexy, no. Bright, functional, and the perfect place for me to work on projects, heck yes.
Why a garage makeover?
- My current garage feels like it is out of control. I have stuff everywhere.
- It’s dark and feels kinda dreary.
- I don’t have the right kind of storage for my tools and supplies.
- I want to get things off the floor and on the wall.
- I have a deep (double car) garage, and the layout could be better to take advantage of the space.
- Aside from the front of my house, the garage is the first room I see when I come home. And I want it to reflect me, and “match” the rest of my house.
- I can’t stand when a room doesn’t work for what I need and it’s just wasted space. Heck, I made my dining room into an office; my living room into my family room;, and my family room into a formal dining room. It works for me and I love it.
- I love a good deadline and I really want to get this done before the snow comes!
Here are my embarrassing “BEFORE” photos:
Here are my big plans:
- Paint the walls
- Epoxy the floors – do it myself, not hire it out
- Organizational system on the walls, think track system with heavy duty hooks
- Add lighting
- Add more power sources
- Organize all of my building and DIY tools in a way that works for me
- Refinish the metal tool chests and carts that were handed down to me
- Add shelving that is adjustable to fit my tools
I created a Pinterest board for garage makeover ideas. Feel free to follow along as I keep pinning more inspiration 🙂
If you’ve done any big improvements to your garage, I’d love to hear about them! Garages can be so cool these days. I would love to have a sound system out there so I can jam out while I’m working on projects. (My neighbors would LOVE that!) I hope you stick around the next six weeks to see how it all comes out. It’s gonna be good!