BEDROOM

GUEST BEDROOM MAKEOVER | ONE ROOM CHALLENGE FINAL WEEK

Hi y’all!  It’s FINALLY time to reveal my guest bedroom!  I’m so excited with how it all turned out.  Strangely, it actually looks like how it did in my head six weeks ago!  In case you’re new to The Striped House, I participated in my second One Room Challenge this spring.  (You can see my first ORC last fall HERE.)  Or if you want to see how it all started, you can see each week’s updates here:  Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, and Week 5.
black and white bedroom makeover one room challenge

Remember what this room used to look like?

This was it when I started the One Room Challenge…

IMG_0158

This is what is looked like before I moved into the house…  scary, huh?

43230010

The mirror was a middle of the night online purchase from Bed Bath & Beyond.  I so badly wanted a Louis Philippe mirror.  I found one at BBB and painted it with metallic gold acrylic paint.  Only one coat.  And it’s a messy coat since I wanted to it to feel a little aged.

vintage deco dresser gold mirror black white bedroom makeover black and white bedroom makeover the striped house one room challenge

gold branch jewelry hooks one room challenge

We got to try out something I’ve always wanted to try – crown molding!  This so exciting for me since I can’t get enough Scandinavian interiors filled with ornate molding and trim.  It’s amazing how much geometry you forget until you have to remember it, while you’re cutting pieces upside down on a miter saw.  We did a damn good job for a couple of first times 😉

black and white bedroom makeover the striped house one room challenge

I was completely content with my plain white curtains from IKEA, but then I found these stunners at Home Goods.  They’re white, but they have this amazing gold embroidered design at the top.  I couldn’t resist them!  $40 was a splurge for me, but I saved a lot elsewhere.

guest bedroom gold embroidery curtains

This is the wall opposite the bed.  So I’m sooooo disappointed that this beautiful print I ordered from Etsy is not here yet.  It’s somewhere on a boat or plane coming across the Atlantic.  For real, it’s super inexpensive.  Don’t go thinking I went all nuts just because it’s from across the pond 😉

bookcases black and white bedroom makeover one room challenge

Lilacs are courtesy of the lilac bush in my backyard.  the striped house one room challenge guest bedroom deco dresser

SOURCES

This post contains affiliate links.  Click here to read my full disclosure policy.

BEDDING

• Wood for seat – Home Depot

ACCESSORIES

• White tray (on dresser) – Target
  • Green bottle – TJMaxx
  • Small clock on nightstand – HomeGoods
  • Gold Branch Hooks – Target

The smaller nightstand table tucked in the corner is a table I made over during last fall’s One Room Challenge.  You can see how I made it HERE.

I’m so glad you all stuck around through these six weeks of progress to see the finished room.  It really does mean so much to me.  Now I’m off to put my house back together, since it always looks like a tornado came through after I’ve styled/photographed a room.

Can’t wait to see everyone’s else’s rooms!  If you’ve never checked out all the room at Calling it Home, you really should treat yourself!

xo Jen signature

Amazon footer

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

27 Comment

1. Reply
    Nicole Q-Schmitz
    May 12, 2016 at 8:46 am

I knew I would love this room, and everything came together lovely in the end. Super cozy and peaceful for guests 🙂

1. Reply
      Tyler @ The Striped House
      May 13, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Hi Nicole, thanks so much for your faith in me! Lord knows there were times I wasn’t sure I was going to get it done, but I love how it all turned out 🙂

2. Reply
    Justynn
    May 12, 2016 at 12:09 pm

that Dresser is a showstopper.

1. Reply
      Tyler @ The Striped House
      May 13, 2016 at 9:03 pm

I know, right?! I was so psyched when I found the dresser. I was about to give up shopping that day and head home, but I’m sooooooo glad I didn’t!

3. Reply
    Molly | Awfully Big Adventure
    May 12, 2016 at 12:11 pm

What a cozy guest room! I just want to grab a handful of those books, hop in that pretty bed, and read for days. My favorite element has got to be that stunning paint color. Awesome work!

1. Reply
      Tyler @ The Striped House
      May 13, 2016 at 9:02 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more! I’m ready to snooze all weekend long and I might just do it this room! Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hello 🙂

4. Reply
    Sam | Away She Went
    May 12, 2016 at 3:39 pm

Yay dark walls! I painted the walls in my master bedroom navy and now I love every room with dark walls. I love the curtains! Definitely worth the splurge. I might have to go buy that mirror for my guest bathroom now – love it!

1. Reply
      Tyler @ The Striped House
      May 13, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Hi Sam, aren’t dark rooms the best EVER! I think I’m addicted haha! Thanks for stopping by, I so appreciate it!

5. Reply
    Malorie
    May 12, 2016 at 8:51 pm

I looooooove the color of the walls! Seriously so good. Awesome job.

6. Reply
    Liz
    May 13, 2016 at 7:11 am

Looks wonderful! good job!! 🙂

1. Reply
      Tyler @ The Striped House
      May 13, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Liz! I’m so glad it’s done and I can sit back and enjoy the view when I look into the room 😉

7. Reply
    Madelne | Teal and Gray
    May 13, 2016 at 7:20 am

OOOOOOOH. Those curtains are amazing. I can understand why you swooped them up. That room looks really comfortable and beautiful!

8. Reply
    Vel
    May 13, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Love the relaxing feel of your space! The wall colors are perfect for a peaceful rest. You have to worry now with guests over-staying for sure! Congrats and CHEERS to us for another room done!

1. Reply
      Tyler @ The Striped House
      May 13, 2016 at 8:57 pm

Oh dang, I hadn’t thought of that hahaha! Thanks so much for stopping by and your kind words 🙂

9. Reply
    Jenn @ Loveland Lodge
    May 13, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Looks fantastic! Love all the details – especially that light.

1. Reply
      Tyler @ The Striped House
      May 13, 2016 at 8:55 pm

Thanks Jenn! So glad you like the light. I was freaking out when I opened the box and saw how big it is, but I think it turned out great. And it’s soft enough that if someone bumps their head, all parties should go unscathed ha!

10. Reply
    Linda Gadwood
    May 15, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Jenn You did a fantastic job in the guest bedroom. So many nice touches, walls, mirror, curtains, ceiling fixture. You are amazing! Great job.

11. Reply
    jessica
    May 16, 2016 at 11:30 am

Those curtains are really pretty. I love the dramatic black and the wood tone mixed with all the white and gold, Gorgeous!

1. Reply
      Jen @ The Striped House
      May 22, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Hi Jess! That means so much coming from you. Your space turned out beautiful! Gotta love another blogger who uses black paint in her makeover 😉

12. Reply
    Tammy
    May 17, 2016 at 11:57 am

I adore the paint color you selected for this space. What a dreamy space!!

1. Reply
      Jen @ The Striped House
      May 22, 2016 at 5:58 pm

Thanks so much Tammy! I’m so glad someone else uses the word ‘dreamy’ – I love it! 🙂

13. Reply
    Erin @ Lemons, Lavender, & Laundry
    May 24, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Love the dark wall with the crown molding. And those curtains are beautiful for this space.

14. Reply
    Kristy
    May 27, 2016 at 9:48 pm

Looks so elegant and chic! I love i. That light is awesome too.

15. […] I did my guest bedroom makeover, I was stuck on the idea of having a vintage art-deco ‘esque dresser.  I drove 45 minutes […]

16. […] You can see the final post of this room’s makeover process here. […]

17. […] This room took six weeks to makeover.  It turned out exactly how I wanted!  You can read the weekly updates here, here, here, here, here and the final results here! […]

18. […] bedroom!), they give a great texture, AND a nice contrast to white drapes.  I have used them in my guest bedroom, master bathroom and over that little window in my kitchen that will forever remain closed […]