LIVING ROOM

LIVING ROOM MAKEOVER : ONE ROOM CHALLENGE WEEK 1

living room makeover one room challenge the striped house

Hello friends!

I have been waiting for this makeover for so long!  It’s finally time to give my living room the makeover it deserves.  This was one of those rooms that I couldn’t decide how I wanted it to look.  I like a lot of things, which may be part of the problem.  I could never find a place to jump off from, to get me going.

Behold, the room of …BEIGE.  Y’all, I don’t even know how this happened.  My walls, sofas and carpet are all the same color.  In my defense, the gross carpet was there when I moved in.  But I picked out the wall color and the sofas.  How did I not see this happening?

Sorry for the dark pictures.  I remembered to take these at night.

This room is at the front of my house.  That window faces the street.  Pretty sweet mini blinds, eh?

On the other side of the left wall is my dining room.  That’s my office over to the right.

I have a split level, and the front door and stairs are on the right side of the photo.  That’s Toby, photo bombing the pic.

Toby is the only one who sits ON that chair, period.  I had it custom made years ago.  Paid way too much money for it.  And was tired of the print six months after I had it.

Goals & Plans for my living room makeover:

• New flooring
  • Make the room feel brighter
  • Clean and/or replace the window
  • New furniture that is my current style
  • Improve the lighting situation
  • Move the TV so it’s not what you see from the street
  • Replace the ugly metal mini blinds
  • Paint the baseboards – no more ugly oak!

Here is my inspiration for my makeover:

My plan and goals for my modern traditional, contemporary, midcentury modern living room makeover for the One Room Challenge spring 2017.

Photo Credits:  Top Photo: Domino (older issue – 2008?) Center Photo:  Amelia Widell, Bottom Photo: Architectural Digest

I hope you all join me during the next six weeks as I post updates on my living room for the One Room Challenge.  This will be my 4th time participating.  The first time I did my master bedroom.  The second time I did my guest bedroom.  The third time almost killed me when I attempted to do my garage while I was having my front yard re-landscaped and gave myself bronchitis.

You can stay updated on my living room when you subscribe below!

See you all again soon, XO

Jen

You Might Also Like

Previous Story
Next Story

16 Comment

1. Reply
    Brenna@Domestic Charm
    April 6, 2017 at 6:37 am

It’s going to look amazing, Jen! Just make sure it is fit for your cats… lol! Love you and miss you! Can’t wait to see this come together!

1. Reply
      Jen @ The Striped House
      April 7, 2017 at 10:29 pm

Thanks so much sweetie! Oh gosh, trust me when I say that these two furballs have impacted the design more than I thought- argh! Love you too, XXOO!

2. Reply
    Brittany Goldwyn
    April 6, 2017 at 7:24 am

The cat photo bombing pic…I have a feeling that’s what a lot of my progress pics are going to look like. They are nosy all the time…but they are UNBELIEVABLY ANNOYING when something is going on!!

1. Reply
      Jen @ The Striped House
      April 7, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Oh my gosh, yes. They sleep all day, but when I’m working on a project, they feel the dying urge to “supervise”. LOL

3. Reply
    Ariel
    April 6, 2017 at 8:32 am

Toby knows what’s up! I’m digging the plans! Can’t wait to see where you take it

1. Reply
      Jen @ The Striped House
      April 7, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Thanks lady! I’m so dang excited to have it done so I can really enjoy it!

4. Reply
    Emy
    April 7, 2017 at 6:39 am

Looking forward to following this makeover! It’s going to be so good!

1. Reply
      Jen @ The Striped House
      April 7, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Aww, thanks Emy! I’m so excited to see it all done! I’ve wanted to do this makeover for soooo long! 🙂

5. Reply
    Eliesa @ Pinterest Addict
    April 8, 2017 at 9:05 am

Toby is the man! Lol! My cats seem to always want to saunter into the photo too, but Toby has perfected his blank stare expression. I usually end up with butt shots! 😆 Looking forward to seeing your updated space!

6. Reply
    Diane Rath
    April 8, 2017 at 6:26 pm

I bet throwing in some color is going to make a major difference!! And thank you for throwing in that your cat is only one who sits in that chair! You had me laughing so hard!

7. Reply
    Nicole Q-Schmitz
    April 8, 2017 at 8:14 pm

That photobomb is hilarious – I realllly liked how your bedrooms turned out, so I’m sure this room will be great as well 🙂

8. […] Previous Story LIVING ROOM MAKEOVER : ONE ROOM CHALLENGE WEEK 1 […]

1. Reply
      Abbie
      April 15, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Please send me photos of your finished carpet job

9. Reply
    Creatively Homespun
    April 11, 2017 at 7:49 pm

Your space has such great potential! I can’t wait to see how it turns out! LOVE your inspirations!!! Hi Toby!! xo

10. […] LIVING ROOM MAKEOVER : ONE ROOM CHALLENGE WEEK 1 […]

11. […] the final stretch of my living room makeover.  The walls are painted.  Carpet is installed.  Furniture is purchased.  Art is going up. […]