visit website Hello friends! One of my home resolutions for 2018 was to make my house more functional, more comfortable and easier to use. If you are confused about that last part, you can read about what that means here. Inevitably, that means that the eating area of kitchen had to be addressed. Thankfully, a One Room Challenge is starting up right now. And there’s nothing like a six week deadline to finish a room to kick a blogger into action!
If you are new to The Striped House, I’ve participated in a couple One Room Challenges in the past.
My master bedroom in fall of 2015
My guest bedroom in spring of 2016
My garage in fall of 2016.
My living room in spring of 2017.
Here’s how my kitchen looks right now…
The left side of the eating area:
…and the right:
What Needs to Be Fixed:
- The curtains. They are too long, they get in the way when people walk through, and serve as a toy for my cat.
- The chairs are not comfortable and freak men out.
- The counter stools are starting to come apart.
- My IKEA DOCKSTA table needs to be refinished.
- Re-attach the door knob to my pantry door.
- The light over the table is too high.
- The rugs that slide everywhere. They’re not pictured because they are in the wash right now.
Things to Add:
- Art to the walls.
- Floating shelves.
- Comfortable chairs.
- Barstools that don’t wobble.
- Window Treatments.
- Nice ceramic serving dishes.
- A light fixture that is the appropriate height over a kitchen table.
- Rug pads under the rugs.
- More fabric, texture, and warmth to this side of my kitchen.
I promised myself that I was going to add some color to this room. The red tablecloth was an $8 online find that arrived yesterday so I threw it on the table to try it out. I don’t think it will stay there, but I could be wrong. (Although the cats totally dig it and think it’s their own personal fort.) My commitment issues with color are already showing their devil horns, and I don’t like it. I love color, I really do! But I can’t commit to permanent things in color. Part of me wants to do a cool yellow and white stripe window treatment, but other part of me knows I’ll love it for 6 months and then want to go black or white.
I’m not kidding when I tell you have spent weekends trying to click BUY on a pair of dining chairs that aren’t black and white. Same goes for fabric for the windows, and maybe refinishing my table in a cool dark British Racing Green color.
I keep telling myself we all need to push ourselves outside of our comfort zone, right? Isn’t there some quote about success is just outside of your comfort zone?
So cheers to another makeover, and many thanks to Linda at One Room Challenge for hosting all of us for another One Room Challenge!